First, you will be assigned to a group of four students, which will be your alien crew on the space ship. Then each of you will choose a role to play within your group to fulfill your task. There are some links to helpful websites listed on this page; however, feel free to go to other sites to find the answers you are looking for on your quest. The roles are as follows:
As the time traveler, your job is to use your dimension defying skills to find out about the history of cricket in Australia. Here are some historical questions to help guide your quest:
- when did people start playing cricket in Australia and what led to its popularity?
- Who are the great cricket players of Australia's cricket history and what are they known for?
- When, where, and how did cricket originate?
As the language decoder and linguisic expert of the ship, your task is to decode the most important terms in the perplexing cricket lingo. Here is a list of terms that must be defined and demonstrated:
- Bowl(er/ed) - Googly - Opening Batsman - Stonewall
- Bye(s) - Hat Trick - Over - Stumped
- Caught (out) - Innings - Partnership - Ton or Century
- Draw - LBW - Run - Wicket
- Duck - Leg Bye - Run Out - Wicket Keeper
- Fourer or Boundary - Maiden Over - Sixer or Over Boundary - Wide Ball
- Full Toss - No-Ball - Spin (Bowler) - Yorker
You are the ship leader so have the task of figuring our how to play the game of cricket and explaining it to your team so that you can all demonstrate the game in front of the emperor (and your class). Here are some questions about the game that you should answer in your explanation:
- What are the basic rules and concepts of cricket?
- How do you bat?
- How do you bowl?
- How do you field and get people out?
Since you can change your appearance as the shape shifter, you must blend in amond the Australian humans and find out about the role of cricket in modern Australian society. Some questions to help guide you on your quest are listed below:
- What draws so many fans to the sport of cricket?
- Who are the most popular and most successful current Australian cricketers?
- Does cricket qualify as Australia's national past time? Why or why not?
- How competitive is cricket for youth? How do the youth development and professional cricket system work?